Owning a home requires a lot of attention to detail and regular maintenance. Keeping your home free and clear of dirt and food crumbs will ensure that you do not encounter a pest control issue. Unfortunately, most homeowners end up dealing with an ant issue at some point in their home ownership. Ants like to roam to find food and shelter. Additionally, if you do not keep your home clean, you could end up with ants in your pantry, on your counters, or even on your carpet. How to get rid of ants on a carpet? Use a home remedy to kill or drive the ants away and then vacuum up the ones that stayed.
Let’s take a look below at what we can do to keep ants out of the carpet.
Why Do Ants Like The Carpet
Just because they are insects does not mean they don’t enjoy the carpet in the same manner that you do. Ants are attracted to the carpet because they can get lost in the carpet and settle into a comfortable place. After ants have acquired their food, they will want a quiet and safe place to enjoy their feast. Additionally, ants like to find shelter or protection. Consequently, it is very hard to discover ants in a thick carpet. So, the carpet acts as a shelter for the ants.
How Do I Remove Ants From My Carpet
When it comes to removing ants from the carpet there are a few ways to go about it. Let’s take a look below at how we can remove ants from our carpet.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – one part apple cider vinegar and one part water mixed and sprayed around the carpet area will keep ants away.
- Borax and honey – a tablespoon of honey and a tablespoon of hot water along with a tablespoon of borax and honey will attract the ants to the mixture. After a day or two, the ants will consume the mixture and die.
- Cucumber – place cucumber peels around the area where the ants have gathered. This will drive them away to a new location. They hate cucumber and will move away from it.
- Garlic and Cayenne Pepper – three garlic cloves and two teaspoons of cayenne pepper mixed with a cup of water. This solution spray will keep the ants away. They cannot stand the stench of the pepper and garlic.
- Peppermint Oil – one quart of water and three parts peppermint oil mixed together and sprayed on the carpet and entryways of the home will keep ants away.
- Cinnamon – sprinkle cinnamon around the edges of your carpet. This will disrupt their trail and keep them from nesting under the carpet. They absolutely hate the scent of cinnamon.
- Lemons – the scent of lemons drives ants crazy. Like many other scents, they cannot stand it. Lemon juice will disrupt the trail of ants and deter them from wanting to nest under your carpet.
- Diatomaceous Earth – an all-natural mixture of dirt and glass shards. It will cut ants and they will not be able to travel across the surface. It will kill any nests and ants that are enjoying your carpet space.
- Baking soda and powdered sugar – a deadly mixture that will always get rid of your ant infestation. One part powdered sugar and one part baking soda. Safe to put on your carpet. Sprinkle this mixture where you notice the ants are gathering. The sugar sucks them in and the baking soda will kill them.
Also, keep in mind that ant bait stations and ant carpet powder are great ways to keep carpenter ants from creating ant nests in your carpet. The items listed above will either drive the ant colonies away or kill the ants. Also, reduce their food source to take away what ants love. Once the ants have died, make sure to vacuum up all dead ants.
How Can I Prevent Ants
Keeping ants away from your home is fairly easy to do. You just have to focus on keeping your home clean and free of food crumbs. Ants can gain access to your home via cracks and crevices. Additionally, they are looking for food, and crumbs on the floor are immediate invitations to ants. Let’s take a look at some ways that we can prevent them.
- Vacuuming – weekly cleaning and vacuuming of your entire home will set you up for keeping ants and other insects out of the home.
- Food storage – make sure that all opened food boxes are stored in a tightly sealed container.
- No crumbs – cleaning up after yourself and wiping down the countertops and floor are key.
- Leaks – ensure that any leaks are handled. Keep your home free from excess moisture.
- Cracks and Crevices – be sure to seal up any cracks or crevices that you have come across either inside or outside the home.
How Much Does It Cost
Depending on the insect or pest that you need exterminated will determine the cost of the service. In most cases, you can end up spending $100 to $125 every three months for your monthly service visits. Also, the reason for a breakdown of fees every three months is the recommendation that pest control is done quarterly. A full extermination service might cost you around $150. Pest control fees will cover the labor and chemicals needed to get rid of any insects around your home.
Now that you know about ants in the carpet, here are some other areas to take a look at.
One of those is rats in the walls. If you find you have rats in the walls, you need to eliminate food, water, and shelter and also call a professional to exterminate the rats. Keeping them away from the house is important and this can be done by the yard being tidy, trash in a trash can, and also sealing cracks in the home to name a few.
Another area is termites. Termites are dangerous if they are in the home. They can live for up to 30 years and you can prevent them if you add downspouts to the home, as well as gutters, and keep firewood away from the home.
Lastly, if you have birds in the attic, then you need to get them out. Identify the bird, look for access points on the exterior of the home, trap the birds, and then clean up after relocating them. To keep them out, make sure the mesh screens are sealed tight. A pest control company can take a look and give you other ideas as well.
When To Call A Professional
As soon as you notice ants in your carpet, it is a good idea to get your vacuum out. Vacuuming the ants up is a quick fix to the immediate issue. Also, be sure to call on your local pest control service. The ants are getting into the home from some specific location. They will be able to locate the ant’s entry point and seal it up. Additionally, the local pest control company can offer ideas to help control your ant invasion. If you aren’t sure who to call, reach out to your local home inspection team. They can inspect your home for areas where pests can access your home, as well as recommend a reputable pest control company.
Getting rid of ants can be a very frustrating issue. Ants come in large numbers and are very difficult to get rid of. However, if you conduct proper home maintenance, you can keep the ants away from your home. Also, clean your floors and countertops to ensure that the ants do not want to enter your home. If you need help with your ant problem, call on Gray Pest Control for all your pest control needs in Jacksonville, FL, and surrounding areas.